Cream cheese, we all know this is not inexpensive. However, if we want to make any recipe that calls for such cheese, we really need to get it.
Well, do you know that you can make your very own cream cheese? If you can make mozzarella cheese at home, this creamy cheese does not make any difference. You can surely make this cheese right in the comfort of your own home. However, you can’t surely just jump into doing it yourself. There are certain instructions you have to follow.
This kind of cream cheese actually makes a good spread on both bread and crackers. It can also be a good base for the most famous cheesecake, dips, and frosting. I know you’re excited about how to make your very own cream cheese, so, without further ado, let’s start!
What You Will Need
Large Pot with Lid (Stainless steel)
Milk or a Combination of Cream and Milk
Culturing The Milk
- First off, start by slowly heating the milk, up to 86ºF. Simply remove the milk from the heat and stir in a packet of cream cheese culture milk. Make sure that you do not stir it longer than 15 seconds.
- Cover the pot and leave the mixture to culture for about 12 hours at 72-77ºF. After 12 hours, the cheese needs to look like yogurt in consistency. You could see some whey separating from the cheese.
Strain The Cheese
- Now, to make your cream cheese come to life, place a piece of the butter muslin or a tea towel in a colander right in a bowl. Spoon the cultured milk in the muslin and gather up the corners of the muslin, while tying the knots to secure.
- You have to hang the butter muslin filled with the cultured milk over the bowl to drain the whey. In order to make it easier, tie the muslin around the cupboard handle right on the top of the bowl, so it can catch the whey.
- Let the cheese drain for about 6-12 hours until you get the consistency you desired.
- Knead some salt into the cheese for some flavor.
- You’re all done! Store it in the fridge and use it in a week.
Making your own cream cheese can be very easy, especially if you have all the time and patience in the world. The outcome of doing the cream cheese by yourself will absolutely pay!