Yogurt cheese is totally easy and fun to make. You can even use it on your favorite cream cheese as a substitute for cream cheese or mayonnaise.
With yogurt cheese, you can surely make vegetable dips, sandwich spreads and many more. You really don’t need a lot of ingredients. Most of the time, yogurt and strainer are enough. The Yogurt and yogurt cheese have been part of some diets for many years. In case you didn’t know, yogurt is made from fermented milk.
How To Make Yogurt Cheese
- In this recipe, you will only use a quart of plain yogurt. However, make sure that you check the label for gelatin. The gelatin will keep the whey from separating from the curds. So, get a brand that does not use any sort of gelatin and sweeteners.
- Get a strainer and line it with cheesecloth, or coffee filters. Spoon the yogurt in the strainer into the bowl. Lay more paper towels or cheesecloth over the yogurt and put a small plate on the top. This will add some more weight to help you in pressing the way out.
- Leave it out on the kitchen counter or store it in the fridge. Leave it for about 8 to 24 hours. It all depends on how dry you want the cheese’s texture to be.
- After it has all drained, you can put the whey in a jar and keep it in the fridge and use it for some other recipes.
- The yogurt cheese is now ready for you to use. You can put it in a covered bowl and keep it in your fridge.
Such cheese is a healthy substitute for cream cheese as well as spreads with harmful additives as well as preservatives. You can absolutely make your very own yogurt cheese and keep it in your fridge and use it in different recipes of your choice. However, if you do not have many ideas, here they are for you:
What To Do With Yogurt Cheese
Follow Our Step for Yogurt Cheese
- You can substitute it for cream cheese in recipes for cheesecakes.
- Mix some of the cheese with your favorite jam and spread it on a bagel. This makes an awesome after-school snack.
- Mix it with peanut butter in any recipe
- Makes a good substitute for mayonnaise for spreads and dressings.
- You can also mix it with sour cream for your baked potato and sprinkle it with chives as well as chopped green onions.
- This cheese can also be used in potato salad and as a sandwich spread.
- If you want a healthier treat, you can mix yogurt cheese with ice cream.
There are just a lot of ways you can use yogurt cheese. So, if you want to preserve it for long periods of time, simply roll it in several small balls and store it in the jar, in your fridge.