Can you name a food that you can eat over and over again without complaining? Do you have to think? Well, in my case it is baked mac and cheese. I already had it so many times, but every time it feels like new. The excellent taste and so cheesy texture make me fall in love with it whenever I have it. Thus, today I have brought this super yummy recipe of baked macaroni with cheese. If any of you haven’t tasted in baked mac and cheese it this bliss yet, go make it right now.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 1 hour
- Macaroni – 250 gm
- Unsalted butter – 15 gm
For The Topping
- Unsalted butter – 30 gm
- Panko breadcrumbs – 40 gm
- Salt – ¼ tsp
For Making The Baked Mac and Cheese Sauce
- Flour – 50 gm
- Full fat milk – 750 ml
- Unsalted butter – 60 gm
- Cheese – 200 gm, shredded (you can opt for either cheddar or Colby or gruyere)
- Mozzarella cheese – 100 gm, shredded
- Salt – ¼ tsp
The Seasonings of Baked Mac and Cheese
- Garlic powder – ½ tsp
- Onion powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard powder – ½ tsp
Directions Of Baked Mac and Cheese
- Start by boiling the macaroni in a pot full of water for a few minutes until they are soft. When done, remove the excess water and add the butter to the macaroni and toss them till the butter melts completely.
- For making the topping, take a bowl and add the breadcrumbs along with butter and salt. Mix them well and keep the bowl aside.
- Now start making the sauce. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a baking dish. Take a big saucepan and put it on medium heat. Add the butter. As the butter melts, add the flour and stir for a few minutes. Then add some of the milk and keep on stirring so that no lump is there. When all the lumps dissolve, pour all the milk and stir. Now add the seasonings along with salt and mix very well. Let it cook for a few minutes until the sauce becomes creamy.
- When done, take it out from the heat and add the shredded cheese and mix it with the sauce. Taste the seasoning and if you need you can add a little bit of salt.
- Finally, pour the macaroni in the baking dish. Pour the sauce over it and mix well. Add the breadcrumb mixture on the top. Now insert the baking dish inside the oven and bake for around 25 minutes, so that top layer of breadcrumbs turns golden.
- Refrain yourself from baking for more than 30 minutes; otherwise, the sauce will be baked and hard.
- If you want, you can add chopped parsley on the top after baking. Serve hot and taste heaven.
Though it is better to have freshly made mac and cheese, if you are short of time, then prepare the toppings, macaroni, and sauce in advance. At the time of eating, mix them following the directions and bake and indulge yourself in a heavenly realm. If you have any leftover portion, store it in an airtight box within the fridge.