Italy is famous for its authentic food, especially pasta, pizza, and mouth-watering desserts. Pecorino cheese is Italy’s oldest cheese. It is made using the sheep’s milk. It’s salty to taste and hard in texture. It’s is generally grated and used primarily in spaghetti. It is derived from the Italian word ‘Pecora’ which means sheep.
History Of Pecorino cheese
It comes from the towns of Sardinia (Tuscany). It is still made using the same recipe as it was being followed in ancient times.
Pecorino cheese was created about 2000 years ago in Rome. Soldiers in the Roman legion ate pecorino as their staple food. It gave them energy and strength when they were tired. It is easy to digest. It was earlier made in Latium in Rome in 1884. But due to a law issued by the city council in Rome, many makers of the cheese shifted to a small island called Sardinia.
It is specially used in pasta and is known as ‘ Parmigiano Reggiano.’ All likes its aromatic taste, especially when flavored with different roman sauces. It tastes amazing.
Flavors of Pecorino Cheese
Pecorino comes in a variety of flavors according to their age. Aged pecorino is known as “stagionato.” It Is hard and powdery. The taste is a bit buttery and nutty. Young stagionato and fresco pecorinos have a softer texture. It has a creamy taste.
A sound made of pecorino is pale yellow to dark brown. The rind of the pecorino will vary according to the age of the cheese. The inner part of the cheese varies from white to pale yellow.
Spaghetti With Cheese
- 100gm pancetta cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 dried red chili
- 1cup white wine
- 1-cup spaghetti
- 1 tin canned tomatoes
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste.
- Water for boiling the spaghetti
- Take the pancetta and remove the rind.
- Cut it into lardons (Chopped into small pieces)
- Take a pan to add olive oil. Let it heat.
- Add chopped lardons
- Let it fry till crisp.
- Take half the crisp lardons out in a bowl for garnishing.
- To the other half, add white wine. Let it simmer.
- Now add the canned tomatoes. Crush them using a fork.
- Add pepper. And let the sauce simmer until thick.
- When thick. Switch off the flame.
For the spaghetti:–
- Boil water in a big pan. Add salt and then add spaghetti. Let it loose. Cook for 3-4 min. When it is cooked properly. Drain the water.
- Keep aside 2tbsp of boiled water to add in the sauce to make it tastier.
- Grate the pecorino cheese.
- Add the drained spaghetti and cheese in the sauce. Mix well.
- Now add 2tbsp of spaghetti water in the dish. Mix well.
- Finally, garnish with fried pancetta and grated pecorino cheese.
Today pecorino is available in many flavors naming pecorino pepato spiced with black pepper or even red chilies. It is served as a substitute for some costly cheese like Parmigiano and Reggiano. Pecorino is Italy’s oldest cheese which is now available everywhere. It is mainly used in different kinds of pasta to enhance its flavor.